Age-old Education System

Education today is quantitative, it is limited to a set of textbooks and information. Due to this educational practice, education today comes up with a confined curriculum. The curriculum that does not allow to go beyond what is in the text. It does not possess rooms for experiential learning, essential values, skills such as creativity, critical thinking, communication, collaboration, etc. I am witnessing it and being a victim of the same intensely as I am in college. I am in XYZ Junior College and doing XI'th Arts.

Our everyday classes is confined to skimming through each and every text in the textbook and memorizing it and giving tests every week, where no space for the student-exploration is found. I ask if the education today is nurturing humans or designing robots fed up with multiple data and information. We need humans who are creative, collaborative, communicators and thinker as the nature has inclined us to be the same. But when I see that the classes in my colleges and other schools and colleges are to memorize stuffs to bring some greater numbers on the report card, I feel ashamed to be a part of the whole education system. Similar things are witnessed by me in regards to the Grade X board examination scores. I have a friend, who is a spectacular thinker, leader, and problem solver. He has prodigious skills to create something as Project iQ in his own school, collaborate with different individuals and at the same time balance family, friends, life all together. However, I see him judged by his Grade X scores which was below 80%, regardless of the very precious treasure he possess in his veins. And that's the educational stereotypes we dwell in, that education is all about owning marks and percentages in a examination. Defying the same, I feel the need to change it. 

The lenses which I have now is ascribed from my 3 years journey in i-Teach Schools and studying in the classes of TFI teachers. Their classes used to be accompanied with platforms to think, create, learn, unlearn and explore things along with the regular stuffs in the textbooks, as the age-old education been a compulsion from the authority's side. We were given the open space to explore ourselves by participating in various competitions like Model United Nations, Slam Poetry, Football leagues, Drama, Singing, Dance, Hackathon, etc. But when I was in Grade X in the same i-Teach school, I was pressurized to accumulate great percentages in the Board examination. I and my friends in Grade X were strictly restricted to bend towards any extracurricular activity as the teachers were themselves pressurized to anticipate our Grade X scores. They were nervous if we not get good colleges due to less percentages, and their concern is greatly respected. But it was the static age-old education, that restricts institutions like these to reimagine education that is going well so. As a result of this static education, we also see extreme lack of holistic approach and platforms in non-iTeach schools, specifically government and some private schools too.

Comments

Popular Posts