On Depression

    I made a post on Instagram, acknowledging that occasionally I feel depressed, too. Well, that suggests to me that depression, though minor, is common. As I confess about my emotional mood, I actually feel proud about myself for I am true and honest to the emotions that I am having. Also, there seems to be no problem with admitting about our emotional states - it is better than bottling or hiding it from one's own self.   


The acknowledgment of one's emotions is a sign of emotional intelligence. In an attempt to understand one's own state of mind, I made a quick Google search to understand what depression means. Here's what I found on the internet.

Sources: Apollo Hospitals and others
The adjacent screenshot which I happen to take suggests a definition of depression and the types of depression sourced from the institutions of Apollo Hospitals. 

The general impression that I get about depression from this is that it is an emotional condition associated with the moods of a person. 

As I reflect on my present mood, I feel disinterested in engaging with the outside world and at the same time feel a sense of lack of purpose in my own life. It seems like a drive is missing that is real which motivates one to thrive. At least I am able to identify what is missing, and just journaling about this is perhaps helping. 

So far I have managed to describe my mood and the way it is for me at the moment. However, I wonder why I am disinterested in things of the world and feel a lack of purpose. Are there any causes for how I am feeling and my emotional state? 


As you can see, the internet suggests many factors causing depression as a disorder in one's mood. One thing is certain: not all factors are responsible for my depressive state; there are factors that I cannot relate to whatsoever. But there are a few; isolation being one of them. 

I think I am seriously feeling lonely. I am perhaps missing some good company - friends indeed. I am staying home these days, whereas most of my friends are either in college or living away. You won't believe me, but I just had a moment of sigh. I think that is it - perhaps the cause of my disinterest for I am missing the people, with whom I enjoy hanging out with.

But to be honest with myself, I have other school friends who are nearby with whom I can hang out - that would ensure that I am in company. Moreover, I am beginning to realize that I am just a call or text away from talking and catching up with my friends I want to. Then what is stopping me? 

I'm not trying. Let me give it a try. A small text to a friend and let me see where it leads to. Until then, bye-bye!

Comments

Popular Posts